My family had the privilege of of trying out a new meal this week! I found this Burrito Pie recipe on Thriving Home and thought I would give it a try. I have made many recipes from this website and each one has been shockingly delicious! This is my go-to-site for new recipe ideas. I also love that there are a lot of freeze-ahead meals on the site too.
When I went shopping, I wasn’t able to find enchilada sauce for this recipe, and I also altered the recipe to fit everyone’s taste buds. It ended up being a hit and everyone loved it. Here is the version I made for my family. It’s more of a Tex-Mex style, than true Mexican style, but feel free to add different and spicy veggies, if that’s what your family likes!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 8 (8 inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (give or take)
- In a large skillet, brown the beef for 5 minutes on high. Add the onions and garlic; saute for about 5 minutes. Strain to remove excess grease; return to pan. Add tomatoes and sour cream; stir thoroughly; simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- While meat mixture is simmering, spread a thin layer of refried beans on one side of each tortilla; set aside.
- In the baking dish(es), spread a thin layer of the meat mixture on the bottom of the dish. Then, layer tortilla (beans up), meat mixture, and sprinkle a thin layer of cheese; repeat until ingredients are all used up.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is browning and bubbly on top.
- If your kids are really picky about onions (like mine), grate them. They won't even know they are there!
- This recipe can be made into a freeze-ahead meal. Check out the original recipe, linked below, for specific directions.