When I was a kid, this was one of my FAVORITE dinners! My mom made it for me and my sis and we couldn’t get enough. I thought about it for the first time in ages and thought I’d make it for my kids. It was a hit! You just can’t beat chipped beef on toast!
I don’t know my mother’s exact recipe, but here’s a very close one from The Meaning of Pie. It’s super fast and easy, and the whole family will love it (mine did)!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups milk
- 6 oz Carl Buddig sliced beef (lunch meat), sliced into small squares
- 6-8 Sliced of bread, toasted
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan on low heat.
- Add flour, pepper, salt, and smoked paprika; stir constantly until smooth.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly on medium-low heat until thickened.
- Stir in the beef slices and cook until the meat is warm.
- Serve on toasted bread!
- Instead of Carl Buddig beef, you can use a jar of Hormel or Armour dried beef, but make sure you rinse the meat off very well.
- If you don't have smoked paprika, you can use regular paprika. I just love smoked paprika!