The other night, Cylus wanted to go outside and it’s been really cold out at night here, so I got out his knitted leg warmers I made for him last year when he was 2. He was so excited to wear them! He showed them off to everyone! They were a little small, but they still fit. When I told him that I made them he started asking a lot of questions, so I showed him my yarn and knitting needles and crochet hooks. He was so intrigued and wanted to try! That’s when it all started…
The next day, I started looking up, downloading, and pinning lots of knitting and crochet patterns. I was so excited to start again! I taught myself to knit last fall and made a lot of ear warmers and those leg warmers for Cylus. My aunt taught me to crochet when I was pretty young, but I relearned again last fall and it started coming back to me after all those years. I prefer to knit, but there’s a lot more diversity with crocheting.
Now, my predicament was where to start? I wanted to start with something simple, but new. I finally decided to start a crocheted boot cuff that evening. This was my first attempt at a pattern with more than one stitch.
It started off pretty well once I remembered the different stitches. I got into a good groove and was even using markers (to know how many rows I’ve done) for the first time. I got half of it done without any hiccups and called it a night.
Then, I started on the second half the following day. It was something I’ve never done before (2 dc in next sc, ch 1, sk 2, repeat). At first it started to look like the picture, and I got excited. But after a few rows, it started to look odd. It almost doubled in width and I was really confused. I eventually figured out I was doing something really stupid. I was chaining 3 before each double crochet (because that’s what the dc tutorial said to do). Let’s just say it was an EPIC FAIL!
I unraveled the boot cuff to the first half and tried again. (If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again!) After a few rows, I was relieved to see that it was starting to look right! Then, I finished it, it looked amazing, and I was so stoked!
When I started the next cuff, I thought I had this in the bag! I finished the first half even quicker this time, but when I compared it to the first, I realized it was a lot smaller. I started crocheting a lot tighter (a problem of mine) and I thought it looked a lot cleaner. I had a feeling that I was going to have to redo the first one (again). Then as I started doing the second half of the second cuff, it seemed a lot harder this time around. And I was still doing it way too tight! By the end, it looked way smushed and not very cute at all. Later, I realized I was skipping a step in every double crochet stitch. I was so frustrated! I don’t take failure well, and that was the second EPIC FAIL in one project!
A couple days later (after a well needed a break), I unraveled the second cuff and added the bows to each cuff. I ran out of yarn, so I had to make the bows in a different color, but I think it makes a nice accent. They aren’t flawless, but they are cute! I am pretty proud of myself, because I’m still very new at crocheting and I did a project full of things I’ve never tried before and it wasn’t half bad (actually it was only half bad… lol)! You can find the free bow boot cuff pattern at Loops of Lavender and try it for yourself!
I’m really excited to do a lot of knitting and crocheting projects this winter and sharing them with you guys (good or bad)!